sermon on the mount

On the last day, of a job that has rendered me tired and weary, I find the most perfect thing in my inbox;

"You are the light of the world--like a city on the hilltop that cannot be hidden." Matthew 5:14

And, for the record, I type that instead of copying and pasting it. It's a good idea to soak as much of that in as possible.

And K-Love is so kind to add a little link that takes you to the full context; the entire section or chapter.

So, I find myself at the Sermon on the Mount.

1 One day as he saw the crowds gathering, Jesus went up on the mountainside and sat down. His disciples gathered around him,2 and he began to teach them.
3 "God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him,*
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
4 God blesses those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 God blesses those who are humble,
for they will inherit the whole earth.
6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice,*
for they will be satisfied.
7 God blesses those who are merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 God blesses those whose hearts are pure,
for they will see God.
9 God blesses those who work for peace,
for they will be called the children of God.
10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right,
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

11 "God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you* and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers.12 Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way.

13 "You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
14 "You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house.16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.


God blesses those who are imperfect, unsure, and uncertain. How have I missed all of this before? How have I skipped right past the teaching, right past such a perfect, sure, and certain message?

A wise person told Alex and I the other day that, in these situations and times of trouble, we have the opportunity to do our most desperate and true leaning into God. These times prove his love and grace and mercy, because we are in such a place that yearns, deeply, for them. And because I have found myself in a new and challenging space, I'm leaning and learning deeper than before.

And God will bless me because I am poor and aware of my need for him; because I have mourned and been humbled; because I hunger for justice and work for peace; because I have been persecuted for doing what is right.

And I am salt and light on the earth because I am aware of his gifts and blessings. Because he has set me apart, I am blessed.

YOU are the light of the world--like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. Praise Jesus.

Comments

Popular Posts