Rocky Mountain High

It is a well known fact that you never forget your first love. In fact, you will probably always love your first love.

It may seem silly to most people, but my first love came into my life around the age of 12. I was 12 when I first saw it, recognized it, and fell head over heels for it. 12 years old is about my first memory of Denver. Okay, okay-Denver isn't necessarily that spectacular and there is nothing extraordinary about this city. In fact, I've heard many people call Denver a dirty city, an overly populated city, a too busy city, a city of bad drivers, and a city of rude people. And yes, I can see where these perceptions might come from. But how dare they say those things about my first love!

I can't exactly tell you why I have these feelings. Maybe it's the beautiful landscape of the mountains. Maybe it's the skyscrapers that exude sophistication. Maybe it's the baseball, football, basketball, and hockey teams. (I'm a girl who just loves sports.) Maybe it's the pumpkin festivals in the fall, or the live bands in the summer, or the twinkling lights all through the winter. Maybe, just maybe, it's because this city holds most of my best memories; weekend trips with my mom, birthday visits from best friends, common interests with my brother, skiing trips with my dad, or the birth of my new self...I just couldn't tell you, but there's a possibility it is all of these things combined. Plus, I once read a book (Eat, Pray, Love) that explained cities and people like this;

Each person has a word. Content, busy, secluded, trendy, etc. And every city has a word. Trendy, busy, sleepy, physical, etc. People with the same words as their city usualy thrive and enjoy that city. People living in a city with the opposite word usually find that they feel somewhat out of place.

Whether this is true or not, it's pretty possible that my word and Denver's word belong in the same neighborhood of a thesaurus. And maybe Denver's word relates to my 'born again' word, or the 'truer me' word-both of which I found while in Denver. Regardless, I really enjoy that city.

What's even better is when your one great love and your first love are able to coincide and join together in harmony. Alex and I are moving to Denver. Well, back to Denver, I should say. He lived his little boy life in Denver and I lived my beginning twenties in Denver. We have always shared an affection for this city and believe we will thrive as a newlywed couple in this city. We both agreed to be very open about where God would lead us and what church He would have us belong to. And, while we hoped to be in Denver eventually, we never thought we'd be able to start there right away.



With a church showing us wide, open doorways and multiple opportunities, we are taking a leap, signing a lease and seeing where life takes us. Prayers and advice and support are always welcome!

Some people might think it's silly to call a city your first love. Some people might, but Carrie Bradshaw sure wouldn't. And Alex doesn't either.

He was born in the summer of his 27th year
Comin' home to a place he'd never been before
He left yesterday behind him, you might say he was born again
You might say he found a key for every door


Comments

Popular Posts