Disciple

2 Corinthians 1:4 He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.

A dear friend sent this verse to me only a week after my grandma passed away. I had already taken comfort in knowing that my grandma was away from pain and away from this world. I had taken comfort in knowing that she was holding my brother, taking care of my grandpa, and reminiscing with her parents. I had been comforted by those around me; the smiles and apologies from friends, and the long-awaited hugs from family. I was comforted.

But I knew it would be important to hang onto this verse. I knew I should remember it, tuck it deep inside my heart, and make it readily available when a day came where someone else might need it.

Today is that day. I've already spoken to two women who have lost a parent. One woman, is losing her mother this morning, and the other woman lost her father a week ago, and her mother is right behind him. As they both wept at the desk, this verse plopped right out of that file cabinet, tapped me on the temple, and open itself like a verse of a song. This is what we do, this is what we train for. We learn His word and His promises so that we can help others in need.

I'm still contemplating what to offer these families; what food I should bring or what cards I should leave at their doors. Do I bake them breads and cookies, or bring in sandwiches and coffee? All I know is that I would be wasting the comfort I was given a mere two weeks ago if I don't offer it to someone else. Faith without works is dead.

James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

I could spend my life remembering verses, taking in good advice, and seeking God for answers and being a disciple. But I can never make other disciples if I don't share all that I've gained with others.

Comments

Popular Posts