Envy

Envy (according to Wikipedia) is best defined as an emotion that "occurs when a person lacks another's (perceived) superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it."

Now, I'm quite certain envy is some sort of a sin. I'm also quite certain it is a very unattractive quality in any human being. However, it is possibly the best word to describe my feelings as I peer out the salon windows this morning--yes, I'm working, don't judge--at a sun-soaked sky without a gust of wind in the air, and all of the punks riding to work on their motorcycles. I probably wouldn't have noticed them if it wasn't for that rumbling purr they are making as they whiz (is that a politically correct term anymore?) by at nearly 90 miles per hour. In this residential/business area.

Colorado has about a million different attributes. We get 360 days of sunshine a year. (That really isn't a lie.) We have the best sports teams in the country. (Biased fan opinion, not always statistically true.) And we have the most amazing backdrop of grandiose mountains and snow-covered peaks. (Statistically and biasedly true.) Combine the first and last attributes listed and you have the perfect setting for a perfect bike ride. Add in a personalized iPod (I've heard you need a soundtrack for every aspect of life. Motorcycle riding is no exception.) and you have a full day of Heaven.

Ironically, I didn't even bring my motorcycle to Colorado with me. To be honest, I completely side with the 'Nebraska state-of-mind' when it comes to Colorado drivers. They are downright fierce, fast and furious. (And that's on residential roads; don't even get me started on the interstate.) In fact, anytime I drive through Denver traffic, I close my eyes, grip my stearing wheel, and pray to God, Moses, and Mary that I'll make it out alive. And so, when I moved to this wonderful city, I sold my bike knowing that I'd never get brave enough to drive alongside these crazy people.

And then Summer came. And summer turned into Fall. And in neither season did I have the pleasure of taking a cruise through the mountains and changing trees. And now that Spring is peering through the clouds(it IS March 1st, after all), I'm having the same emotional envy that I had a year ago at this time. I'm turning green I'm so jealous of the leathered-up, helmet-wearing, free-spirit cruisers on the road.

On the up side, all of my limbs are in tact, and I am in one peice.

Comments

  1. I didn't know you used to have a motorcycle. Coolness points x20!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!!*insert fist pump* Thanks, Christie :-)

    I got my license a few years ago...and then left the poor little Honda behind :-(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts