Derailed

Coming from an area of the world that built itself on train tracks, I've seen a few derailments in my life. It is so hard to imagine, let alone witness, such a large piece of metal-or whatever they're made of-and in large quantities, be plucked off its course and plopped into piles and messes on the ground. And then, naturally, it gets me to thinking, what makes a train derail, anyway?

Apparently, excessive speeds, misaligned or broken tracks, and faults in the wheels are a few culprits. And I wonder how we get derailed on our own tracks sometimes? I wonder how we can be "full steam ahead" in one direction, and suddenly be knocked into pieces and piles and messes in an instant?

If you've ever watched a train, you know how powerful and mighty those locomotives can be. They rage through on their tracks and toss debris like toys, rumble the ground like an earthquake, and leave behind an eerie stillness. If you've watched a train pass through a drift of snow, you've seen it annihilate the pile like it was a mirage. If you've ever tried counting a train, well...you probably gave up. It just makes your head hurt. (And if you haven't done any of the above, head to Gering, Nebraska. They pass through every 4 minutes and 36 seconds.) And you know, that in your own life, once you have a goal or a determination in mind, you are just as hard to stop as the Engine That Could, on steroids.

Well, that was me, about 2 years ago. I was dead-set on Denver, Colorado. I had my mind made up on city-living and mountain-climbing. I was headed to a destination without u-turns. My passengers were on a one-way trip, with no looking back.

And now, I'm looking back and turning around.

And today, a co-worker put it like this; "You're taking this train, and you're derailing it. You're taking it off of the 'wrong-way' track and repositioning. You're creating a whole other path, because you've already traveled this one."

How wise, right?! (Not to mention, I can't hardly take credit for this reference...she planted the seed!)

And yes, I have traveled this path. And I have chased goals and dreams. And I have enjoyed all of it. I'm just, purchasing a new ticket, boarding a new locomotive, and heading for a new destination.

But, you can bet I'll be bringing MY camera.

So what does it take to derail a train? I say it only takes a simple change and transformation of the heart.

Comments

  1. And more than likely Colorado will always be there. You can take the next train back there some day if you choose. The mountains are hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts