game of fetch


With the changing of seasons comes the changing of cd’s in my car. Yes, I will be one of those people who forever buys or burns cd’s...there is just something about having a person's heart and soul recordings in your car, where you can hit repeat as often as you like.

This Fall, it will be Mat Kearney all the way.

I heard you were back in town
I heard you would come around
Trying to get off the ground
Every road you went down
...
Do you ever think about me? Do you ever call my name?
Ask me now I'll give you the reasons
My love will not fade
Through the fire and rain, the fire and rain

I'll meet you half way
If you're coming the long way
Don't care what the people say
Of the prodigal runaway
...
We'll say goodbye, I'm gone
Oh, it hurts to hold on
If you settle your score, no, no
Pick you up off the floor



I used to think this was another unrequited love song about the couple that breaks up and comes back together. Then I read a little interview with Mat...

"I guess I lived it up and did what everyone said you should do in college. I discovered the depth of depravity, the bleakness of that lifestyle. It just wasn’t working. I finally started understanding there must be more to life." Mat continued, "God found me when I was at my lowest point. That was the first time in my life when I really felt like I understood who Jesus was- it was more than knowing about Him, I felt like He met me in that time and place."

And if you've ever had Jesus meet you in that place, you totally get this. In fact, it's happened so many times to me that I cry each time I read that statement. Because He does, He meets YOU, right there. You don't have to run or climb or swim or work to figure out where He's been hiding. This isn't a game of fetch.

So, actually, this song probably is about unrequited love. If anyone knows about that kind of heartache, it's Jesus. I have personally felt not good enough for a lot of people. Whether that comes from me or from them, I know the pain of watching people walk away. I can't imagine longing to love hundreds and thousands of people and watching them continually walk away.

This Fall, I'm going to simply sit and wait and watch for Jesus meeting me right where I am.

No more work, no more climbing and sweating. No more running and fetching.


Comments

Popular Posts